She's a beauty Our days in the marina are certainly pleasant, but we are also working hard on the boat. The boat is as complex as a house with the added systems for locomotion. All of which we need to learn about, fix, adjust, install or renew. We spent a whole day just going over the interior compartments in the bilge and under the couch and dining area. It’s important to know where things are so that they can be quickly accessed. It’s also important to know where all the seacocks are. A seacock is a fitting that runs through the hull below the waterline. If one were to be opened and not contained, it would easily flood the boat. The other day we had a guy come over to show us how to use the electrical components. He actually took out the transducer that indicates how fast the boat is moving through the water. This meant he unplugged the transducer from its place on the very bottom of the boat and plugged up the hole that this created with a special plug shaped like the transducer. In between these two actions, water starts pouring in. The water flows down to the lowest part of the bilge where the bilge pump starts up automatically, although not without making a loud warning beep to let you know it’s working.

Yesterday we also brought on board a liferaft, all packed away inside its case. Luckily we had a dolly to get it from the store to the boat because it weighs 22 kilos. It was somewhat of a challenge getting the thing onto the boat once it was at the dock because we are now tied up bow first. This means that the usual method of climbing on board is to put one’s foot on the rope between the bow and the dock and clamber up over a railing. It’s all very nautical of course, but not so conducive to carrying heavy things. So we had to lift the liferaft up, set it on the railing and then climb up to get it from onboard. We also inspected the anchor chain, found the spare anchor and were puzzled by the location of the controls for the windlass. The anchor chain needs to be replaced as its weakest link looks pretty bad. We are waiting on a new anchor that is appropriately heavy. We’ll probably replace the whole thing when that comes in.

We are still waiting on the mainsail to get back from the sail repair shop, Easy.  We are essentially getting an all new sail.  The few times that we have been out sailing so far, we have just used the jib.  

The salonWe’ve also been working on some minor issues in the interior.  I repaired the struts that hold the refrigerator and freezer doors open, for instance.  We also added some essential brass plaques. DSC_0010(Let’s get down to brass plaques, folks.)  The trip is a very good reason to get everything exactly the way we want it.  Andrew never cleared out all of the little bits of junk that the previous owner left behind.  So, now it is finally becoming 100% his. I’ve included some shots from my flickr page of the interior, including the aft stateroom where I’ve been sleeping. Aft Bedroom

Advertisements