Well folks, I know that I haven’t even gotten around to describing the first long sail that Andrew and I did together, but here is a quick word on the second.

After a few days spent in Sardinia, we left the beautifully-situated marina in Teulada.  We considered going to another point on Sardinia for a day, but the winds lead us to just take off for the Balearics.   We had a strong easterly wind, at times gusting up to 29 knots.  This was at our back as we sailed off to the West.  The sea had quite a swell and we were riding the waves for a while.  Sometimes that got to be uncomfortable, but it was also a cool sensation when the waves passed under us just right.

We experimented with going wing-and-wing, but it didn’t pan out.  We had several hours of good wind.  It died out in the afternoon and we ended up turning on the motor.  That lasted until the next day when the sea was very calm.  I don’t think we’ve motored so much on such calm seas since the Corinth Channel.

We saw dolphins a few times.  They didin’t stay with the boat too l0ng, but they did give us a few nice jumpies to appreciate.  We also had some other hitchikers, a dragonfly that stayed the whole night and into the next day and a small sparrow (African or European?) that landed on the topping lift.  The night skies were amazingly full of stars, even with the crescent moon out.  Andrew mistook the moonrise for a ship on the horizon.  We were both enthralled by the presence of soemthing we haven’t seen too much of for weeks; clouds.  These past days we saw puffy cumulus clouds floating serenely.  They don’t mean anything will change as far as the weather goes, but they do make for interesting sunsets.

Once we left the immediate area of Sardinia we didn´t see another ship or boat for the entire time.  It was strange – don’t cargo ships run this way?

We did get some wind back towards the end of the 16th, the second day out.  We actually tried to go a bit slower than we could because we wanted to reach the marina here in the morning rather than make a night entry.  It worked out perfectly.  We arrived this morning at 6 a.m.

After trying out four-hour shifts instead of the usual three, we came into the long cove at Mahon.  The sun was just rising.  It was dark enough to see the navigational lights clearly and light enough to see the little fishing launches that ply the waters.  We came into the marina with no problems under the assistance of a marina employee. I’m much more comfortable speaking Spanish over the VHF than French, as I had to do in Tunisia.

We’re going to hop our way along the islands until we reach the mainland, probably in Cartagena.  From there we´ll work our way down in little daysails.  We’re both excited to be back in Spain and looking forward to disfrutandlo a lo maximo.

More later.